click on images to enlarge
Nelson has New Zealand's highest sunshine hours and some of the country's most beautiful beaches. Three of NZ's most renowned and awe-inspiring National Parks (Abel Tasman, Nelson Lakes and Kahurangi) are within a few hours' drive from this city. Fine wine, delicious food and fascinating art create a feast for the senses, making Nelson a fantastic base to explore the Tasman region.
- Visit some of the boutique wineries, local breweries and countless funky cafés
- Sea kayak or walk the Abel Tasman National Park
- Shop at Saturday's open-air market
- The Wearable Art phenomenon is now an internationally celebrated event, so stop at the World of Wearable Art Museum
- Sail to one of the beautiful bays in the Abel Tasman National Park
Facts at a glance
- Founded as a city by hardy Europeans in 1842.
- Nelson has the highest annual sunshine hours in the country – over 2500 hours per year, which averages almost seven hours a day!
- The arts capital of the country.
- With its Mediterranean-style climate, Nelson has 22 wineries and many olive farms.
Come, relax and enjoy the peaceful country environment of this uniquely built straw bale cottage
Built from traditional straw bale construction the cottage has all the modern conveniences furnished in an understated, but luxurious style for comfort and seclusion
Top of page